Pet Resource Center
Welcome to our Pet Care, News & Resource Center! Here you will find important pet care tips, clinic news, and links to specialists, emergency care, poison control, adoption/humane groups, and other great resources. If you need other referrals or recommendations (for groomers, rescue groups, kennels, etc), please give us a call and we will be glad to help! Also check out & like our Facebook page for more FFAC news, information, and holiday/weather office closings!
Pet Care Tips and News
Fall is a beautiful time of year, with cooler temperatures and beautiful colors. Because Virginia is a temperate climate, it is important to continue to protect your pets from pests like fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes that can can cause major health problems for your pets by continuing prevention treatments year-round! Also with the holidays just around the corner, make sure you take steps to keep your pets safe around visitors and guests, and away from all those delicious foods that may be hazardous to their health!
“Disease prevention is as critical a part of today’s veterinary practice as is the treatment of illness.” ~Dr. Bonnie Beaver, past AVMA president.
FDA Warning: don’t give your dogs bone treats! The vets and staff at Ferry Farm Animal Clinic have always cautioned our patients about the risks of giving their dogs these and other unsafe treats. After numerous reports of pet illnesses or deaths from dogs eating bone treats, the FDA is taking action to warn pet owners about the dangers. Read the full FDA Consumer Warning here: “No Bones (or Bone Treats) About It: Reasons Not to Give Your Dog Bones”
Over The Counter (OTC) Pain Medicine and Our Pets: Not all pain relievers are created equal. While it is true that buffered aspirin can be used as an OTC pain reliever in dogs and in specific feline heart patients, the doses must be carefully regulated – please consult with us regarding safe doses. Other common OTC pain relievers like ibuprofen (Motrin/Advil), Naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), and acetaminophen (Tylenol) should NEVER be given to dogs or cats as they can cause kidney failure, serious gastrointestinal bleeding, liver toxicity, and are potentially lethal (especially for cats). We do have prescription pain medications that are specifically formulated and generally safe for your pets for pain management and conditions that require it.
Ultrasound and Therapeutic Class IV Laser Equipment: We at Ferry Farm Animal Clinic take pride in our state of the art diagnostic and treatment equipment. Our digital ultrasound machine provides much more detailed images for a more accurate diagnosis and treatment, and laser therapy helps speed healing of acute injuries and helps in the treatment and management of long term problems like osteoarthritis. Read more on the services page.
Links & Resources
There are so many resources on pet ownership available – we can’t list all of them here! If you are thinking of adopting an animal, we encourage you to talk to us first about what is involved with it’s care and the joys, costs, and challenges of pet ownership (especially puppies!). Also please contact us if you need a specific referral or additional resources not listed. Please note: the links and resources provided below are for your convenience – Ferry Farm Animal Hospital neither endorses, nor is responsible for content, privacy policies, or other information provided on these websites. Clicking on the links will open a new browser window – please set your browser to allow popups for this purpose. To return to the FFAC website, simply click on the “x” to close the new browser window or click on the tab.
Emergency, Surgical and Specialty Care:
- Central Animal Referral and Emergency (CARE) Hospital: 24 hour emergency, critical care, specialty and referral veterinary hospital specializing in surgery, internal medicine, cardiology, oncology, ophthalmology, and physical rehabilitation in Fredericksburg
- Dogwood Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Center: Multi-discipline referral hospital specializing in emergency/critical care, cardiology, dermatology, Internal medicine, neurology, oncology, radiocat, surgery in Richmond
- Regional Veterinary Referral Center: Multi-discipline referral hospital in Springfield specializing in Internal medicine, surgery, neurology, cardiology, oncology, radiocat, dermatology, emergency/critical Care in Springfield
- Veterinary Referral Center of Northern Virginia: Internal medicine, surgery, behavior medicine practice and emergency referral service in Manassas
- Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Center: Multi-discipline referral hospital specializing in surgery, internal medicine, ophthalmology, dermatology, emergency/critical care, radioactive iodine in Richmond and Midlothian
- CVCA Veterinary Cardiology Associates: Cardiology specialty group in Richmond, Springfield, Leesburg, and Vienna, Virginia and locations in Maryland
- Radiocat Centers for the Treatment of Feline Hyperthyroidism: Radioiodine therapy for hyperthyroid cats in Springfield
- Vet Vision: Ophthalmology specialist in Fairfax
- Eye Care For Animals: Ophthalmology specialty group in Leesburg
- Bush Veterinary Neurology Service: Neurology specialists in Leesburg, Springfield, Richmond and Vienna
- Veterinary Dermatology of Richmond: Dermatology specialists
- Blue Pearl Specialty and Emergency Pet Hospitals: Emergency and specialty care in Richmond, Vienna, Chesapeake, and Virginia Beach
- The Life Centre: Multi-discipline referral hospital specializing in neurology, dentistry, Internal medicine, surgery, cardiology, ophthalmology, emergency/critical care in Leesburg/Loudon County
- VCA South Paws Veterinary Specialists and Emergency Center: Multi-discipline referral hospital specializing in neurology, oncology, internal medicine, surgery, ophthalmology, radiology, emergency/critical care, acupuncture/holistic medicine in Fairfax
- Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine: Referral information for the veterinary teaching hospital at Virginia Tech
General Pet Care Information & Other Resources:
- ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center: Animal poison control & resource center for any animal poison-related emergency
- Veterinary Partner: General Pet Care Information from Veterinary Information Network
- Virginia Tech College of Veterinary Medicine: Animal Owner Resources: Links and information for pet owners
- Cornell Feline Health Center: General feline health information from Cornell University Feline Health Center
- Care Credit: Provides special financing/payment options for veterinary care
Pet Adoption/Lost Pets/Shelters/Pet & Breed Information:
- SPCA of Fredericksburg: No kill shelter, pet adoption, foster, donate, volunteer, rescue groups, and pet ownership/new pet care resources in Fredericksburg
- SPCA of Stafford: No kill shelter, pet adoption, donate, volunteer, lost and found animal reports, pet resources in Stafford
- American Kennel Club Dog Breed Selector: asks a series of questions about your lifestyle (where you live, if you have kids, other dogs, what your noise tolerance is, etc.) to help you select a compatible dog
- Vet Street Pet Selection Assistant Tool: What breed of dog or cat is right for you? Let’s you rate what’s important to you in a dog or cat breed based on your lifestyle needs (size, shedding, socialization, etc.)